Sunday, August 19, 2012

Random Acts of Kindness

I like doing random acts of kindness, and between now and my 30th birthday in a couple weeks, I am attempting to do 30 of them!  I am done with two...But lately, I have been so blessed with these gestures by random (and some not-so-random) people.

Having two very small children makes easy things more difficult.  Like grocery shopping.  I have my system and I CAN do it all by myself.  I put Charlotte in the front pack...Gracie in the seat of the cart..and then I can go crazy with groceries.  Then I get to the check stand and the hardest part is reaching in the cart (because of the baby strapped to me) and putting the things on the belt.  I was at Safeway one day and as I began to get things out, my checker called over a young clerk to do it for me!  What a gift...and such a random act of kindness.  He then proceeded to keep Gracie entertained by talking all about Disney princesses (his daughter is a HUGE fan too)  In the next two weeks I want to find him and bring him some fresh baked cookies as one of MY random acts of kindness!

One morning I was getting coffee for a friend and myself and got to the Starbucks drive-thru and there were like 7 cars in line AND two more coming the opposite direction waiting to get in line.  I took my spot in line (because getting out, getting Gracie from her seat, Charlotte's car seat, my wallet, keys, and a partridge in a pear tree out of the car is a royal pain) and begin to wait.  Then Charlotte starts to cry.  Oh no...getting closer to when she needs to eat AND her pacifier fell out.  I contemplate going without coffee.  NOT an option...especially since my friend was expecting hers!  The crying gets louder...what is taking so long?! I strain myself to get the paci back in the mouth.  One car goes in.  Paci falls out...more crying.  "Mom, something's wrong with Charlotte" says my observant two year old.   I know, Gracie...and Mommy hasn't had her coffee...the other car waves me in...what?!  I know she couldn't hear my baby screaming...she was just being nice...she was there way before me, and she hasn't had HER coffee this morning either!  So when I get myself to the window I was able to check off one of my "30 RAKs" and paid for her coffee.  Best few bucks I ever spent.  As soon as the car is moving Charlotte always forgets she is getting hungry and goes back to sleep, so all was peaceful again...AND I had my coffee.

A couple more random acts happened at church...although knowing these guys it was just their nature of being gentlemen.  Tim has to work almost all Sundays now so I go with the girls by myself.  I was walking from my car and one of the guys who was talking out on the patio comes and offers to carry Charlotte in her car seat AND follow me to take Gracie to class AND follow me all the way to my chair...and then as I had to leave early because Charlotte was crying, the husband of my friend followed me out and carried all my stuff.  This same husband was there to lend a hand another week when I was struggling to get out stuff and make a bottle and hold a baby trying to keep her from crying! 

I swear, having two kids is hard but this week has shown me how KIND people are and I appreciate it so much.  That's why I want to focus these two weeks leading up to my big birthday by being kind to others.  Also...when my kids are older and I see the drive-thru is full...I will get out of my car and go in because you never know if someone who really needs the drive thru might pull in after me.

1 comment:

  1. What a wonderful post Chelsie. If only the whole world would think about how a random act of kindness can make a tremendous difference to one person's day. While John was sick I will never forget how kind complete strangers would be to me. They didn't know how difficult my life was at the moment and I would always thank God in my prayers for those random acts by strangers. It made my very troubled days easier and made me feel hopeful. After reading your blog I'm inspired to make a point of doing at least one kind thing for a stranger this week. Thanks for posting this inspirational message.
    Jody

    ReplyDelete