Friday, February 1, 2013

My Mom and the "Big C"

Many people have asked me more details about my mom and her recent diagnosis.  It all started a couple months ago when she started experiencing some symptoms which she told her GP about.  She referred her to a gynecologist.  Of course I wanted her to see Dr. Phelan because he is so amazing.  She went to him after having an ultrasound and he recommended a procedure to check what was causing her symptoms.  She had that procedure on Friday, and Dr. Phelan said they would have biopsy results in about a week, and he would see her in three weeks for post-op check up.  When he came to talk to me in the waiting room his comment was "It went pretty well" and he continued by telling me what he took out...then ended up chatting about my babies.  I went home not so comfortable with the words "pretty well".  Don't they usually say "it went great" or at least "good"?  Then, over the weekend, my grandma died, which really threw my emotions even more.  On Tuesday my mom got a call that Dr. Phelan's office wanted her to make an appointment to come in and discuss results.  She made the appointment for the first thing the next day (Wed.) I went with her that morning and had called her best friend of almost 52 years, Nikki.  I just had a feeling it was going to be bad news, and I didn't know how well I would do staying strong.  Nikki offered right away to come to the appt, and she waited in the waiting room.  Dr. Phelan delivered the news gently that what they tested is in fact, cancer.  At that point they went and got Nikki while I started to fall apart.  My mom stayed cool as a cucumber the rest of the time.  Dr. Phelan gave her a referral to a gynocological oncologist and recommended a total hysterectomy ASAP, and if all goes well that would take care of it.  Then he gave hugs and went on to happier appointments.  She got in to the specialist for a consult yesterday, and both of us got a good feeling about him.  He felt positive about what he saw in the ultrasounds and pathology reports.  She has Endometrial Adenocarcinoma and it has a high success rate of being "cured" with surgery.  She will have it in a couple weeks (still waiting on an exact date) and has AMAZING friends who have already offered her help with whatever she needs.  She is staying positive about the whole thing and just wants it to be over with.  I am thankful for everyone who has reached out to me as well, especially those who have walked in my shoes being the child of a parent diagnosed with cancer.  The advice I have been given has helped tremendously.  She is just glad that the timing worked out with being able to still attend my grandma's services next weekend and support my dad's family.  Again, thank you, for thoughts, prayers, hugs, phone calls, and everything else. 

No comments:

Post a Comment