Sunday, January 27, 2013

Grandma

I am thirty years old and until today still had all four grandparents (plus two bonus grandparents!)...and today I lost my first.

Grandma Gail was my Dad's mom, and she lived at "the ranch".  As a kid when we would go visit (which was only a couple to a few times per year) she was down on the floor playing Pick-Up Sticks or Tiddliwinks with us, or she was on the couch reading us a book. 

We were still able to make trips up there one or two times a year in the last few years.  I am thankful my Grandma was at my wedding.  I am grateful she held Gracie as a baby and played tea party with her as a little girl.  She may not have been able to play games down on the floor, but she was still able to cuddle on the couch and read to her.  We were just there in November, and she met and held Charlotte for the first time and the last time.  We had THE BEST visit.  This is another thing I am grateful for. 

She would have been 87 on February 5th.  She passed away early this morning in her bed with my Grandpa at her side.  I will miss her terribly...her voice reading to my kids, seeing her in the kitchen cooking a wonderful meal for her family, and I will miss the sweet cards in the mail and phone calls that ALWAYS ended with "I love you Chels, give those girls a kiss for me". 

Now, she is in Heaven, reunited with her Daddy she spoke so highly of, her daughter (my Auntie Dearest) and many other family and friends who went before her. 


No comments:

Post a Comment