Blogging is my way of processing my thoughts and getting them out of my head so that I don't think about them anymore. It's why I write and therefore I am not bothered if no one reads! Haha.
But...here's what happened this morning.
Tim and I stopped at Target for a couple things after church since I would be out of the city at home for the week. As we finished, Charlotte got upset about something and started to have a fit. I put down what I was looking at and knew it was time to go.
At that time we hear a voice in the next section very loudly say "wow someone needs their butt paddled"
What??!! I was shocked that someone would be so rude.
I pick Charlotte up off the floor and we round the corner where this lady was and I told her if she was the one that just said that then it was really rude.
She completely denied even though it was the same voice and there was no one else around. She said it was someone else. I said okay and we walked away and she says "not that I don't agree with her though" with an attitude.
I turned around and told her she needed to learn some respect for others.
I can think of 100 other things I could have said but that's not who I am.
I believe what the bible says that "out of the abundance of the heart the mouth speaks"
I want to think my heart is filled with light and joy therefore I wouldn't say those things. But I was hurt. Mean people suck, and I am not used to people being so outwardly rude like that. It's one thing to be toward me but it was toward my child.
What she didn't know was that Gracie had a friend over last night and they didn't go to sleep until well after 10 and I ended up putting Charlotte in bed with us and then she tossed and turned all night and she hardly got any sleep. Then she had to be awake at 6:30 to get ready for church. It's not her fault I needed a couple things from Target. A fit was bound to happen. And when it did I got my stuff to leave.
No she didn't know that, she just had to state her hateful opinion.
I am so happy that I have had so many many many experiences which were the opposite. Fellow moms or older ladies have walked by and quietly said a little encouragement to me as I was experiencing one of those days that was a little more challenging. Encouraging words that build me up. I even had a dad stop once and say something nice "oh I remember those days...don't worry it will get much better. Hang in there" And then gave a sincere smile.
Do we want to build each other up or tear them down? Words hurt. They can't be taken back.
It was a good reminder to me to watch my tongue because I never ever want to do that to someone else- especially a mom and a sweet little girl who is having a hard morning.
And next time I see a mommy having a hard time I will most certainly stop to encourage her...and maybe buy her a coffee or a couple pounds of chocolate ;)
No comments:
Post a Comment