Thursday, May 31, 2012

A Reflection

Tonight, as I sat watching 8th graders graduate middle school I began to reflect back on the last few years.  First of all, thinking back to when these kids were in 6th grade, just beginning middle school, some so unsure of themselves.  Then seeing them tonight walking across that stage with such confidence is amazing.  Three years ago they started to form friendships, some while we were away at Outdoor Ed in the fall of that first year of middle school...6th grade.  I had the priviledge of having one student in my 8th grade Bible class this year, and she sat right about where she did as a 6th grader in my English class.  Once a shy girl, this student gave one of the most beautiful speeches tonight.  She thinks for herself and is ready to be a strong critical thinker in high school.  She also strives to become an English teacher herself one day. 

In a class of twenty-something 8th graders who struggled right along with me as I took on one section of Bible class this year, a boy gave a speech and noted how much he learned from our class.  I taught him something.  He learned something in our class which will carry him into high school.  When I was so unsure of myself and my abilities, God reinforced His abilities to use me as a teacher in a subject area I was so apprehensive to teach.

 I dried my eyes as one student who struggles with a learning disability was chosen to give a speech as well.  This poised young girl who, at one time three years ago, struggled to look me in the eyes, spoke eloquently to hundreds of people, including her peers. 

Then, I finished the evening by embracing those kids who I have had the priviledge of knowing the last three years, told them I was proud, and I walked out of the room. 

                It is time for them to fly...and I know they will do it with grace and confidence. 

This also made me reflect back on my very first year as a teacher.  The year felt like a blur, with a classroom filled with nine year olds all depending on me to teach them.  There I was fresh out of college, with energy and a lot of ideas...and that was about it.  I could plan and plan, but nothing will prepare a person for their first year except to just do it.  The year was so much fun, and I became attached to those kids so fast.  By the end of the year we were truly like a little family, ending every day on the carpet with me reading to them and then them giving each other compliments.

 I went through a few books throughout the year, one of the favorites being Mrs. Piggle Wiggle.  Toward the end of the year I began one of the Sideways Stories from Wayside School books.  I knew I would be close to finishing reading it the last week of school.  We had activities to do, a fun end of the year party at school, followed by a swim party at a student's house hosted by her family, which the whole class would attend.  The last day of school was a minimum day (like most are) and after our activities we had a little time left.  One student asked me to read from Wayside.  I agreed and they all gathered on the carpet one last time.  As parents cleaned up our party, and parties continued in neighboring classrooms, my quiet bunch sat at my feet as I read.  The last couple minutes of school came upon us, the cheering could be heard from those neighboring classrooms... and I quietly read.  As the clock hit 12 and I still had a couple chapters left in the book, I closed it and told them the year was over and we would go have fun at Devin's house.  One of them turned around and said, "You're going to bring Wayside with you to the party right?" 

Shortly into the party that afternoon, my little class gathered in and around the spa, made some room for me to get in, and we finished that book together.  That is a memory that will forever be tucked away in my brain.  Tonight, hearing those speeches from kids I have seen grow for the last three years, hugging big, giant 8th graders goodbye, reading the last chapters of a silly book in a spa surrounded by 4th graders...that's what teaching is all about.  It's a journey.  Every.Single. Year.  Filled with ups and downs.  But those faces...that is what has always brought me back...and will bring me back again one day.

No comments:

Post a Comment