Today was one of those days...one of those "Alexander and the No Good, Terrible, Very Bad Day" days. Since we have been here things have been pretty great. The girls have been a bit challenging but nothing too bad considering the huge life change we just made. Coming here we knew we would need to find health insurance for a few months until it kicked in at Tim's work. We also knew we would establish residency like register cars, get licenses etc. We enrolled Gracie in gymnastics. I got my library card and we have been a couple times and even attended story time. It seems like everywhere we go there's a card of some kind. Fred Meyer...want a club card? Sure! Human Bean Coffee, Dutch Bros Coffee, Peets Coffee, Human Bean Coffee (can you tell we like coffee?!) all want to know if we want punch cards...yes please! Big Town Hero (GREAT sandwiches)...want a punch card? Anyway...we have been getting settled. But this black cloud of DMV junk and health insurance has been killing me. Just to elaborate...I applied for health insurance WEEKS ago. We received a letter needing info to prove residency. I send them what I had. A week ago. So today I call to check the status. She tells me they need more residency proof. Oooooookay. Well registering my car is still in the works (my other headache), I haven't been here a full month to have a utility bill...ugh. But a lovely lady at Golden 1 put a rush on some new checks for me which should be here in a few days and solve that problem...now in the meantime I need to bubble wrap my children and pray against sickness or ear infections because currently we are completely un-insured. Boo
I thought the car registration process could happen with one visit to the Oregon DMV. Boy was I wrong. Over a week ago I started that process with high hopes of having it finished because today marks the first day my car is no longer registered as of today. Anywhere. After I spent awhile getting the car taken care of at the DEQ (Oregon's version of SMOG) I rushed to the post office to do 2 day mail to our financial institution so it could sign off and get it sent with my check and DEQ certificate back to Oregon DMV. It was guaranteed in Ohio Thursday and the guy at the bank said it would go out the day after they receive it...so I thought it would be back to Oregon DMV by today. I called and they say they haven't received it. Tim calls the bank and they say they never received it. CRAP. I go searching the house, the car, purses, pockets, trash cans...for the receipt with the tracking number. I didn't find it anywhere. I start freaking out. I can't get another DEQ certificate. I will have to go back to the DMV and get more paperwork and start ALL OVER AGAIN. How could I be so stupid and not keep the tracking info somewhere safe? Or better yet, pay extra for signature confirmation?
I took a break to take a walk with the girls and get the mail. It's a nice walk and when we get to the mailbox it starts to rain. I quickly grab the mail and we head back. I get back to the house and think "where are my keys?" I always put them in my jacket pocket and they are not there. I check with the mail. Nothing. Are you serious?? So I strap both girls in the car in the garage and say I will be right back and I run to the mailbox because now I know I must have left them hanging in the lock. One of the gardeners must have seen them because they were inside our mailbox with the door almost closed so no one would see them. Thank you so much!! With keys in hand I run back to my girls.
With some advice from my mom I decide to head back to the little post office where I mailed the paperwork. The man was oh. so. nice. and he looked in his computer, found info on my package, tracked it and printed me confirmation that it was, in fact, delivered to Ohio ON THURSDAY. Of course at that point this afternoon it was after hours in Ohio so it means another (and hopefully positive) phone call to them in the morning. The day was looking up!
I head to Fred Meyer (one of the ONLY stores that I know how to get to...and it happens to be a place you can get everything from groceries to potted plants, shoes, clothes, and home improvement junk) to get some groceries and pick up my free Redbox. I get there with both kids and there's one double shopping cart left. Let me tell you, the double cart is amazing. Even though it is the suburban of shopping carts, on a trip to a huge store like Freddie's the double cart means no whining from my 3 year old that her legs are tired. So I am heading to grab the one double left and the mom in front of me with her ONE kid grabs for it. I am sure she is moving it out of the way to get the regular cart in front of it. She can't possibly be taking the double cart for her one child. So I say, "Are you going to use that?" She replies, "Yes, I was going to" as she is wiping it with her sani-wipe...what the? I get a regular cart, tell Gracie she has to walk, and under my breath say..."you only have one kid" while I send her a look. The shopping trip was actually successful and my day was looking better. I got a wool duster on clearance for only six bucks, and it will be great on the vaulted ceilings and other hard-to-reach areas. Plus, it entertained the girls as Gracie carried it while she walked shoving it in Charlotte's face,,,which thankfully made her laugh. In fact I was having such a good time and it was getting too late to cook a whole dinner at home that I asked Gracie if she would like to get Big Town Hero (which is conveniently located just outside the doors of Freddie's) to which she squeals, and I smile, filled with the "my daughter thinks I am the best mom in the world because I buy her a sandwich" kind of happiness.
As we are eating our dinner I realize I forgot to pick up my reserved movie...so after we finish, the girls and I head back into Freddie's to find the Redbox. Turns out it's inside the other entrance so we make our way through the store to the other side. As we do so, Gracie trips on an imaginary something and falls face first, smacking her forehead on the tile floor. This happened right in front of a check stand with someone working there and I was SURE she was going to ask if Gracie was okay or offer ice or something. She never said a word. I know she heard the commotion. If you know Gracie you know that the whole store probably heard her scream. I take my hurt, crying girl and head to get my movie. Then I go back. Because you know what? That was wrong. Darn you Fred Meyer. You pride yourself on customer service. So I went back and made sure they knew how absolutely disappointed I was at that lady. And then I left...to go home and put the girls to bed, watch a good movie, eat some Halloween candy, go to bed, and start fresh tomorrow.

No comments:
Post a Comment