I still feel like we just moved and I catch myself starting to say "Oh we just moved..." but it's been almost two months...TWO MONTHS.
One of the hardest things for me has been being so far from my mom. We still talk all the time but I used to see her about once a week. When I was teaching I would just swing by her house because it was so close to school. It had been 7 weeks since we had seen each other when we decided to meet in Medford for the weekend to visit and see my grandparents (her parents) and my aunt (her sister). I drove down with the girls and made a stop at my aunt's house first. She wanted to bless us with one of her awesome wind chimes she makes with antique silverware. She had also made a little leather purse for Gracie with a braided strap. My aunt is a lot of fun to be around and even gave Gracie a piggy back ride as we walked around the property where she lives.
We were able to visit with my grandparents who are 83. My grandfather has helped with the Vietnam Veterans and volunteers at many events. We went to the Memorial Park and captured a few pictures.
Finding Grandad's name on the wall
The girls loved staying in a hotel and so do I. Gracie was even up and ready to swim early Sunday morning. Saturday night my mom stayed in the room and I went down to the Jacuzzi with my magazines and sat there...all.by.myself. It was what I needed.
Reading their new books from Gammie before bed
We stopped by Harry and David before heading out of town to come back home!
It still feels pretty surreal that we live here. Driving home from Medford I was pretty much still in awe of the surroundings.
We have been having such nice, dry weather lately which I hear is very out of the ordinary for here...but it has been so cold. This morning Gracie and I were heading to MOPS and the car said 27 degrees. For many other states, 27 is still "warm" but coming from Sacramento this is a new kind of cold. Thankfully I like gloves, head wraps, warm boots, and warm coats!
The girls have continued to adjust just fine. Charlotte is officially a toddler, and will walk mostly around the house but isn't quite ready out in public yet. Gracie came to MOPS with me for the first time this morning and was so excited to play with all the other kids. She came home with a "Five Little Turkeys" book she made in class as well as a Thankful Pie craft. Her teacher is amazing and reminds me of my mom's friend Cathy, who is a long time teacher and has such a warmth about her.
We still miss everyone back in California and it is getting easier and easier as the days and weeks go by. We do look forward to having more visitors in the months to come and in the meantime we have been able to communicate other ways...we Skype with Tim's parents and grandparents, Facetime with family and friends and in fact Gracie got to Facetime with her little bestie, Reese, today. If you want to see cute, watch 3 and 2 year old girls chatting face to face on their Mommy's iphones...
More posts in the coming weeks with Thanksgiving at my Dad's and then Christmas fun!
No comments:
Post a Comment