Monday, November 25, 2013

Spend Less, Give More

I heard on the radio this morning that the top most requested gift for Christmas this year for 4-5 year old girls (and boys and many other age brackets I am sure) are iPads or other tablets. 
Hidden in my closet is the Cinderella gown that Santa will bring Gracie this year. It's gorgeous, sparkly, with lots of layers...and I got it at the resale kids store half off after Halloween...and that's her only Santa gift. 
The church we have begun to call home here in Oregon has been speaking about something called Advent Conspiracy. All this means is at Christmas time spending less so you can give more. They don't mean giving to friends and family, though that is special too. Our families are blessed to have what they need and don't want us to go out and spend money on them. We have used our gifts and talents to make most gifts this year. What we were also able to do to give more with some money was participate in packing a box for Operation  Christmas Child. Gracie helped with every step from picking out the toys/toiletries/shirt/school supplies to pack a box for a little girl in another country to praying over that box that will be opened by a little girl who has waaaaaaay less than she probably ever will.
This year I know our girls will be spoiled by their loving family and friends...and that is totally fine. But as our girls grow older I am just glad we have gentle reminders this time of year to not give in to all the spending and the show...and remember the meaning of Christmas and this time of giving. 

The little things...the simple things...like snuggling on a couch before watching Charlie Brown Thanksgiving ;)


No comments:

Post a Comment