Friday, September 21, 2012

Uncle Bob

Many people who know me know I started babysitting a LONG time ago.  Recently I did a post about Nicholas...the "little boy" who left for college.  This family has been a big part of my life and Nicholas and Amanda are like my little brother and sister.  Their mom and step-dad, Pam and Bob, think of me like a daughter.  I lived with them while I attended Sac State, watched the kids, and they even took me on vacations all over, from Mexico to Hawaii to Las Vegas and Tahoe.  More recently, Tim and I would take Gracie over to visit, swim, have dinner, etc.  They watched her for us on several occasions and, of course, she had SO much fun getting to watch cartoons with her Uncle Bob and eat fun snacks on the couch (Pam NEVER let her kids eat on the couch!) Bob was a special friend because he would give her candy too!  He never had kids of his own and had a sweet spirit around little kids.  Gracie LOVED him, not just because of the candy.  Tim became close with Bob, and they would talk for hours about cars.  Bob was diagnosed with Cancer a few years ago, and has fought and fought.  Recently he left for Stanford for a bone marrow transplant, which he had at the end of August.  He and Pam had a little apartment in Mountain View to call home for the 100 days which he would have to stay and be monitored, have appts etc.  Sadly, Bob passed away due to complications from a heart attack this week.  We have many emotions right now.  I am sad because I will not see him again, and even more sad for Gracie, since she is too young to understand why he won't be there anymore when we go to their house.  I am thankful to God because of many things.  I am thankful for knowing him and for the last time we saw him.  We had a great visit, and Bob held Charlotte for the first time, and looked at her with instant love.  I am thankful that I got a card in the mail and he received it before he died.  I am most thanful that even though I did not "say goodbye" God gave me a dream early Thursday morning (while he was on life support) which we sat together, I told him I loved him and we talked about fun memories.  I feel content with that as my goodbye.  I know Bob knew how much my little family loved him.  He taught me many things:

-A car is not fully washed until the tires are dressed.
-There is nothing that tastes better than chocolate.
-"You fly, I'll buy!" 
-How to be a genuine person, kind and generous to everyone, with unconditional love.

This is a picture from the last time I saw him, and I will cherish it forever. 
We love you, Bob.

No comments:

Post a Comment