Saturday, December 22, 2012

Daddy the Night Nurse

This post is dedicated 100% to my awesome husband...because he deserves it.  Here we are with baby number two who is still not sleeping through the night.  I know what some may be thinking...she is not even 6 months old.  I know...but Gracie was a premie and still slept through the night by 4 months and never looked back.  I can count on one hand the number of times I ever got up with her since she was an infant.  In other words, we were incredibly spoiled. 

With Charlotte we find ourselves over-analyzing this...we have her on an eat/play/sleep routine during the day like the books recommend.  We have a good bedtime routine.  Still, without fail, she wakes 1-2 times a night to eat (but promptly goes back to sleep...I know, WHY are we complaining?) Well, we're not.  At least I am not.  Why?  Because most nights I don't even wake up.  I wake up in the early morning and ask "So how did she do?" To which my awesome husband pulls out his phone and looks on the notepad to tell me when she ate.  (At 2:00 in the morning when you are awake with a baby it is too much to remember which way is UP let alone remember in the morning what time you were stumbling around making a bottle.)  She cries the least bit and he is up, no questions asked.  I don't know about you, but I love my child DEARLY and I would be the first to stall a little hoping the other person would get up first.  He does it because even though he has to work all day, he knows I have both kids all day so he lets me sleep.  I would be so bitter if I were the one doing it every night.  Sometimes if I wake up, after I know he has gotten the bottle and is feeding her in the dark on the couch, I will get up and go keep him company.  Like now for instance.  It is 2am and I am wide awake because while sitting on the couch next to him feeding Charlotte at 1:15 (only 4 hours after her last bottle, what the heck?) I was googling things about why my baby doesn't sleep (I know, I need to get over it) and it woke me right up.  So I am thankful tonight for a loving husband who doesn't roll over and let me go get our baby every night,  knowing that one day she will sleep through the night and so will he. 

No comments:

Post a Comment