Thursday, December 20, 2012

Is the Garbage Man Taking My Princess Pen Away Now?

So last week I had a moment of weakness.  Gracie has a princess pen she received as a gift.  This pen has princesses on the actual pen, a sparkly pink puff ball, and is topped with a clear puffy crown filled with confetti.  It is the ultimate princess pen, and Gracie likes to draw with it.  She has also been testing the waters with her limits lately.  "We only put stickers on our clothes, hands, or paper."  We don't put them on the floor, table, car seat, windows, or your sister.  Ultimately the sticker she receives at Raley's still ends up somewhere it doesn't go.  Same goes with pens/crayons/markers.  We draw on paper.  We draw on paper.  Where do we draw? Paper.  Well she asked me for her princess pen and was using it but got down and ended up on the couch drawing on her paper.  When I realized this (and the marks she got on the couch) I asked, no told, her to put the pen back in the kitchen where it belonged.  She continued to draw with it making ANOTHER mark on the couch.  Here comes my moment of mommy weakness...I freaked.  This is why I told you to take it back in the kitchen...I say in a stern voice.  I took the pen, told her it would be thrown in the trash because she didn't listen.  I also proceeded to break it.  Yep.  In three pieces.  Weakness.  Poor decision on my part, but what was done was done. 

Gracie (in a shrill, shrieking voice) "You broke my princess pen!"
Me (feeling VERY bad, but not able to change my decision or she has learned nothing from this situation) I am sorry you chose not to listen to mommy, I know you are sad...and maybe one day you will have another princess pen. 

All day, she continued to ask about the pen. 

-Can I please have it back?  (In the sweetest little voice)
-Mommy I am sad because you threw my pen in the trash.
-Mommy, I am sad because my pen is going to get DIRTY.

Then later...Mommy, is the garbage man going to take my pen away?  Yes, I am sorry, he is going to clean it and give it to a little girl who listens to her mommy.  "Oh"
 she responds with a frown.

Days go by.  Today is garbage day.  Oh no.  As the garbage man came down the street this morning, her big brown eyes watched as he dumped our trash. 
-Mommy, is he taking my princess pen away now?  Yes, I am sorry. 
-It's going in there right NOW?  Yes. 
-Oh.
 And that was it. 

So I tell her.  Well...maybe...just maybe...if you are a VERY good girl the garbage man will clean it, put it back together, and send it to the North Pole and Santa can bring it to you in your stocking....

 Little does she know that I felt so bad the same day I threw it away that I took it out of the garbage, got out my glue gun after she went to bed, and glued it together good as new....and she will have it in her stocking Christmas morning. 

I acted irrationally in a moment of weakness and had no idea how much a pen could affect my two year old...and I look forward to their reunion on Christmas morning. 

1 comment:

  1. This story just gave me goose bumps! What a good mommy you are!!

    ReplyDelete