Wednesday, March 26, 2014

Thankful

I just need to take some time to reflect and journal about being thankful. Never did I think I would be able to have the pleasure and luxury of being a stay at home mom. Yes I just called being a stay at home mom a luxury. Even though most days there's nothing luxurious about it. Our lifestyle is certainly not luxurious. But my heart is one of the richest I could imagine. 

When Gracie was born I went back to teaching part time. We made it work back then. Barely. We scrimped and stretched so I could be at home with our baby girl as much as possible because that's what we wanted.

 I'm thankful I am married to a man who wants those same things for his family.  I remember when we were dating TEN YEARS AGO that we had the conversation about families and he said he didn't foresee his wife ever being able to stay at home with his kids. Well, I'm glad we serve a God who had bigger plans for our lives. 
 
We leaped big when it came to this move to Oregon. Big. Like the "rock your world and turn everything upside down" big. Tim has only ever known the Sacramento area of California let alone a whole different state. He has struggled with the change of lifestyle, scenery, and job. Especially the job. But he works hard through it all and does things like join a men's Bible study to enrich his spiritual life and meet other Godly men. 

I am thankful I married a man who solves problems that way instead of alternatives like anger, drugs, or alcohol. 

It has taken time but we are settling. My husband is a rock star at his job. I will brag about him for a minute because everyone loves him. I cringe when I first tell people what he does for work because of the stereotype that sales people have at car dealerships. 

I am thankful that Tim is one of the most honest people I know and he carries that into work and breaks that stereotype. 

Last night he came home after working for 12 hours and had delivered two half deals and a whole deal...on a random Tuesday. That NEVER would have happened in Sacramento. I am thankful he sells a quality product he believes in and he gets excited to make people happy with their new car not just to make money. 

I am thankful for the man God gave me to marry.

 He gets up around 5 every morning and gets ready and takes care of Lacie. Most mornings he gets the girls out of bed and gets them milk and breakfast and does Charlotte's diaper. He is happy to do it because it means a little but of time with them before heading out for the day not knowing if he will be home before bed, and most nights he's not.

 I am thankful he holds that schedule, adding in bible Study one morning a week at 6am!, for five straight days (sometimes six) and then is an attentive husband and father on his days off. 

As I sit here while Charlotte is sleeping and Gracie's resting in the other room I am extremely thankful that this is my life. I didn't leave the house today and I plan on making more berry muffins this afternoon with the girls. Yesterday I made 2 dozen of them for the freezer along with a homemade lasagna, another casserole, a rosemary chicken, taco stuff for tonight, and a bunch of bean and cheese burritos for the freezer. I think I used every pot, pan, and utensil I own and I have never felt more accomplished.

I don't have a job out of the house because at this point in my life this is my job- to keep a comfortable, clean house for my husband to come home to and home cooked meals for our family. My job is to nurture the girls while they are little and be there for happy times and sad times. There are trade offs however. I bargain shop at places like Winco, buy secondhand for a LOT (and I love Goodwill 😃), I don't drive a fancy car, have a fancy house or furniture or clothes. But I have laughter. I have little arms around my neck. I have chubby little hands to grab my face and kids me. And best of all I have little voices singing in the background music of the soundtrack that is my life. And it's a happy life I am overwhelmingly thankful for. 

No comments:

Post a Comment