Sunday, March 9, 2014

Old School Days

Last summer when my dad and Korbe went to my grandpa's ranch they brought back some furniture which belonged to my grandma's family. It had been in storage for a very long time. When I saw a picture of a little school desk I fell in love. When I heard the story behind it it made it even more endearing. Apparently when my grandma was a little girl in the early 1930's her teacher sent her desk home with her...based on the year this desk probably is (the late 1880's) they may have replaced the desks and offered them to the students. It turns out that from a little research it looks like her desk was the one in the front as well. Was she the front of the class because of bad behavior? Could she not see very well? Was she a teacher's pet? I guess we will never know. Either way I am excited to have this desk in our house once we (meaning my dad...) have restored it. The cast iron is rusty and the wood needs refinishing but then it will be brand new again! I took the girls up to Kelso again today and we were able to get it out and my dad got started. He took it apart and started sanding. I will be proud to have a quality piece of furniture which happens to be really old with a lot of history and most importantly a lot of memories which we will never know much about. 

This is a classroom in the 1930's


We also took a trip to the Mt St Helens visitor center. Gracie recently asked about volcanoes and has been really interested in learning about them. Yesterday she went up to the Children's Desk at the Library and asked where she could find books about volcanoes. We also checked out a Magic School Bus episode about volcanoes. Since we happen to love so close to one with a somewhat recent eruption (1980) Gracie was excited to learn even more today. 


















No comments:

Post a Comment