Dear Oregon,
Happy 1 year anniversary! This was the weekend one year ago when we began our new life in your state. There were times when I didn't think we would make it, you and me. You didn't exactly give us the warmest welcome. The day we moved you blessed us with the biggest downpour of a rain storm and left us scrambling to find rain coats so we could attend church the next morning.
But once that first storm passed you showcased your gorgeous fall. Everywhere I drove I was in awe of all your colors and beauty. There are cotton ball cloud skies almost every day and the abundance of green is everywhere! We settled in nicely and we have now had every holiday and birthday with you.
We sure have missed our California family and friends, but we have adjusted. We have a life here and I have learned a thing or two:
1. Rain boots are not just a fashion accessory, so they better fit well! When we moved I had a cute pair of inexpensive rain boots and I quickly learned from sore feet that comfort and quality rule...so now I have Bogs...and they are serious business.
2. Life is better with more than one hooded sweatshirt. When we moved I had only one hooded sweatshirt. I just rarely needed a sweatshirt in CA so I never had more than one. Here I am able to sport my favorite type of outfit (hooded sweatshirt, jeans, rain boots) many many days out of the year so one year later I now have four. The first was my Berkeley sweatshirt that came with me from CA (thanks, Dad), but in the last year I have added to my sweatshirt collection from places like Multnomah Falls, Cannon Beach, and Victoria BC.
3. You don't use umbrellas. Ever. I have one in the car but we have learned that people around here just simply don't use them...only tourists.
4. We now keep a bag of salt in the garage for ice in the winter. We have steps in front of the house and snow and ice in the winter...dangerous combo :)
5. And lastly, as a family we can get through anything. Moving away from all we have ever known for our entire lives was a challenge. It's one that has gotten easier each month that has gone by and here we are at a year and to me this place feels like home. We left the house behind where both our babies came home from the hospital and where Gracie took her first steps. The house where we had lots of birthdays and holidays. We now live in the house where Charlotte took her first steps and Gracie started school and soccer and we have now celebrated birthdays and holidays here as well.
Last September we first drove up to this house which we had never set foot in before. Our stuff was already moved in. It felt foreign but we were determined to make it work.
Now when we are in the car and we come around the corner onto our street the girls shout, "we're home!"
We have come full circle and here we are blessed with another Oregon fall. It's nearly pumpkin time and before you know it we will be celebrating Christmas. There are days which feel lonely, but I have learned in the last year that time goes by so fast (even though on the most difficult days filled with nothing but mundane chores it feels differently)
Yes, Oregon, we are home. Thank you for making this our home. Here's to a second year filled with even more joy than the first. Now bring on the rain! The heat was beginning to make me feel like I was back in California!
Love and hugs,
Chelsie
No comments:
Post a Comment