Sunday, December 7, 2014

Seven Years

My Dearest Auntie,

I am choosing to write this today rather than tomorrow.

Seven years ago today I talked to you on the phone for the last time.  I called you because of the bag of mint M&Ms you faithfully sent me each Christmas.  I had ended a tough week teaching, it was Friday, and I checked the mail and there they were.  I called you the second I came in the door to thank you (probably as I was opening the bag to get started with those little pods of deliciousness).  I was so excited and happy. We only spoke for a few minutes and you said you weren't feeling well and would call me later.  That call never came.  Instead, a call the next night from my mom telling me you died.  The pain I felt from that phone call was immeasurable.

You were a light of my life.  You were the one I would have called when something like this happened.  I called you about everything.  We talked for hours.

In the months after I would still pick up the phone to call you before I remembered you weren't there anymore.

Charlotte is JUST like you, Auntie.  She reminds so many people of you and that makes me happy.  It's like you sent a little angel from Heaven to remind me of you.  Even Gracie said the other day out of the blue "Mommy Charlotte looks like your special Auntie".  That's what we call you in our house, "Mommy's Special Auntie" and a picture of you, Korbe, and me from my wedding (the last time I saw you) hangs in the guest room where Gracie takes a rest every day and that's why she knows what you look like so well because she sees you every day even though you never met.

We baked cookies on your birthday and lit a candle in one and sang to you.  Dad was there too.

Tomorrow I will think about that sad day even though it will make me sad.  I can still hear your voice.  I can still see your painted nails and the details of your hands.  And I will NEVER forget all the memories you made with us.

I will love you forever.

Chelsie...aka your "Miss"



No comments:

Post a Comment