Wednesday, April 16, 2014

Smoke Detectors and April 16

You have to love smoke detectors. They are so very important, but we have all heard the stories of the chirping. This will not be the first time you have heard of one of them chirping in the middle of the night, as it has more than likely happened to you too. Well two nights ago I didn't wake up when one started to chirp needing a new battery but Tim did. He said it woke him up so he was fumbling around trying to figure out which one it was (because it chirps like every minute and you know the second you walk away it will chirp again) he found what he thought was the culprit and took it down. So when I got up, the smoke detector in the loft was sitting battery-less on a little chest next to an arm chair. All day long I walked past that spot listening to the chirp. I texted Tim at work because I couldn't believe (well actually I could) that it could still be chirping unplugged and without a battery. In college we had this happen (of course it's always in the middle of the night) and after taking it down and returning to bed...chirp! Taking out the battery and returning to bed...chirp! And finally wrapping it in a towel and shoving it deep inside the washing machine...at least we couldn't hear the chirp. 
He came home from work and I was playing with the girls in the loft. Still every minute we were listening to the chirp. He says "I am figuring out where the chirp is coming from"
To which I reply something along the lines of duh. It's this thing right here. He doesn't believe me and goes to other smoke detectors upstairs while I sit there in disbelief because I know that sitting in this arm chair I am sitting next to the chirp! I've been listening to it for the entire day in every part of the house.
He comes over to the cabinet, opens the drawer and pulls out the extra smoke detector/carbon monoxide detector we have...which apparently needs a battery.

That is my segway to April 16...the other part of this post.

April 16 2006 was Easter Sunday. It also happens to be the day Tim was able to pull off one of the only times anyone has been able to surprise me. He had some help from my mom and his parents knew what was up...it was the day he proposed. He had spent the morning with his family and I went to church with my mom and returned back to her house where she had planned an Easter brunch (which I knew was happening) so a couple close friends, my mom, and Tim's parents and grandparents were there and after we ate he proposed in front of all of them. April 16th is always a special day and so is Easter. As Christians Easter is already such a special day and being able to remember it as the proposal from the perfect man God created for me makes it even better. 

So here's to April 16th...the day I made the best decision of my life...to find the most amazing husband and daddy who also happens to be able to make smoke detectors stop chirping. 

No comments:

Post a Comment